Buscher tries for a bullseye

By: Sam Williams [Opinions Editor]

Volleys of arrows consumed his thoughts as his mind wandered; his skin itched with the temptation to once again fire his bow with his team by his side. Anxious energy coursed through his veins.
Jared Buscher, junior, is pumped that Archery Club has begun. “I’ve practiced  all year,” he shared, “either in my backyard or at Ryder’s farm.” Jared has been doing archery for about a year now and he thinks it’s great.

Archery is a very newbie friendly sport. “I think everyone should try it, I think they’d have fun,” Jared stated.

Some people wonder why archery is a club and not a sport. Jared explained, “We don’t really have funding. All of our equipment comes from gym. That’s how Coach Dostal explained it.” Regardless of its name, archery is definitely as competitive as any other sport. “We have our first tournament coming up in December,” Jared exclaimed, “We usually go as a team. We all wear our team’s shirt.”

Archery seems to be a very friendship-rich club here at Marion. “My friends that I already had are closer to me now, because now we can hang out while practicing,” he said, “I’ve also met some new people, too, from a lot of different schools.” Archery has helped create friendships and unite people with similar interests, undeniably justifying its title as a club.
With his steadfast concentration firmly molded on the familiar circles, this avid archer is going to have to rely on a year’s practice to guide his arrow. As Jared begins to shoot the arrow, his concentration is perturbed by the jolting laugh of one of his friends. Luckily, today is only practice, but he knows, looking around at all of his friends, that this season is going to be as fun as last.