Kimball fights back

By: Alex Estes [Staff Writer]

Each day millions of women, young and old, mothers and daughters, are affected by the deadly disease known as breast cancer. Many tears are shed, and many lives are lost against the battle to fight the terminal illness. Close and beloved family members stay as strong as they can as they face the most deadly points of their lives.

Katie Kimball, senior, and her family have been affected by breast cancer. “My mom had it last year, it’s a really hard thing to go through,” she recalls. “[Our family] didn’t know what to expect,” she explains. Kimball had a hard time coping with the threat of losing the one she held closest. Her close friends were there for her the whole way. “[My family] didn’t know what would happen” she admits. Her family was as scared as she was.

Her mother is, sadly, not the only person in her family that has been diagnosed. “My grandma has been affected, too,” Katie explained. “I listened to music, and I had a journal that I wrote in, I didn’t really talk to anybody,” she admits. It was hard for Kimball to open up to others, because she didn’t know many people who had been affected like she had.

Now, Katie always helps to find a cure. “I support breast cancer walks and if our school has anything where we can donate I do that too,” Kimball knows what it’s like to go through nearly losing her mother. “[To fight breast cancer] you should definitely get checked regularly, and if you feel a bump, make sure you know what it is. Also you should catch it early. We should just keep working at finding a cure,” Kimball advises. Kimble has a lot of advice to give to those who are currently suffering.

View Comments (4)