March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Murdering the winter blues

Heidi+Keehner+hand-drew+pictures+of+all+of+the+suspects+to+help+the+students+understand+who+is+who.+
    Heidi Keehner hand-drew pictures of all of the suspects to help the students understand who is who.
    This school year Murder March is happening in the library with help from journalism students who provide thrilling clues through their podcast every week.

Sitting through countless hours of school, anxious to get some fresh air only to open those metal doors and find cold temperatures. It can be challenging for students and staff to find new thrilling activities during the winter, but the school is attempting to find ways that students can involve themselves. One event that the library creates for everyone is Murder March. 

Reading can be a difficult task for many, and Heidi Keehner, library associate, brought the idea of Murder March to all three years ago. One teacher is “murdered,” and multiple staff around the building are found as suspects. Students have to guess who killed the victim with clues given out every week. Keehner said, “We are celebrating murder mystery books, in hopes that kids will try to get into reading.” When browsing through the room, some people might find an interesting book on the murder table and start reading. Students can get an education and also have enjoyment by trying to guess the killer.  Murder March guides high schoolers into the library and also connects them with their school. When they have interest in this event, students can connect more with their friends and different staff members. Not only does Murder March provide everyone with becoming associated with the library, but it also can provide activities during those long winter months. 

Everyone can struggle with getting through the school year, but Murder March can supply people with reasons to enjoy their time. Keehner said, “February is usually cold and kids are just kinda down, and it’s something to just perk kids up and get them through the year.” The last quarters can be grueling, and many people have lack of motivation. This activity can help staff and students overcome the last couple of months of school. One student who participates in Murder March is Kylie Olson, sophomore. Olson said, “I find it fun because at school, kids focus on grades, and Murder March makes it less stressful.” With finals and summer just around the corner, it can be challenging for students to push through the year, but the event makes the school more entertaining for all. Through the years of Murder March, the library had to accommodate new advancing parts making the activity more open.

Keehner used to do Murder March with a previous librarian, so when the third quarter came, she had to figure out a new way to get the information out to the school. Keehner said, “I knew that [it] would be hard for me to do on my own, and I thought journalism would be a great group to do the podcast.” Members of The Vox came together and created a podcast that would come out every Monday and Thursday in March. The videos would have interviews of suspects and give out more clues on who is the murderer. This plan helps the journalism staff become more educated on their video systems and also supports Keehner. 

Murder March is a special event for all in the high school and builds stronger connections with staff and students. Keehner said, “I hope I get at least one or two kids that read a mystery book and realize what is going on in the library and school. To me, that’s everything.” This event provides everyone with the ability to read new books and figure out who the murderer is. The library is encouraging everyone to join the excitement and participate in Murder March this year.